Restricted area

The Mapoon restricted area is the Mapoon Aboriginal Shire including all public and private places. The restricted area includes all beaches and foreshores above the low tide level. This includes Janie Creek and the mouth of and lower reaches of the Wenlock River where it is bound on both sides by the community area.

All creeks on the northern and southern sides of the Wenlock River are included in the restricted area.

However the southern side is within the Napranum restricted area.

The lower and middle reaches of the Pennefather River are not included in the restricted area.

It is an offence to drink in a public place anywhere in Queensland.

Alcohol restrictions

The maximum amount of alcohol that a person can have in the restricted area is:

  • 2 litres of wine (unfortified), and
  • 22.5 litres (2 cartons of 30 x 375ml can) of light or mid-strength beer, and
  • 9 litres (1 carton of 24 x 375ml cans) of premixed spirits (up to 5.5% alcohol/volume)


  • 2 litres of wine (unfortified), and
  • 33.75 litres (3 cartons of 30 x 375ml cans) of light or mid-strength beer

This amount is per person on foot, or per vehicle, boat or aircraft regardless of the number of people in it.


Maximum penalties for possessing illegal alcohol in the restricted area are:

  • first offence 375 penalty units (currently $50,043)
  • second offence 525 penalty units (currently $70,061) or 6 months imprisonment
  • third or subsequent offence 750 penalty units (currently $100,087) or 18 months imprisonment.

Vehicles found carrying alcohol above the set quantity in the restricted area may be confiscated.

It is also an offence to attempt to bring alcohol above the set quantity into the restricted area. The maximum is 375 penalty units (currently $50,043).

The maximum penalty for possessing alcohol in a dry place is 19 penalty units (currently $2,535).

These penalties apply to all people living in, travelling through, visiting or working in the restricted area.

The penalty unit from 1 July 2019 is $133.45.

Sly grog

It is illegal to sell alcohol without a licence or permit (sly grog) in Queensland. Penalties apply.

To report incidents of sly grog phone the confidential Sly Grog Hotline on 1800 500 815.

Further information

Call 13 QGOV (13 7468) for more information about alcohol limits