Compliments and complaints

We want to hear your feedback – good or bad – to help us ensure we are delivering a quality service to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Queenslanders.

We will pass any compliments you send us on to the staff involved so they are recognised for doing a great job.

Alternatively, if you have a complaint about any of the following matters, we will investigate in a confidential and fair manner:

  • a decision the department has made or not made
  • the service the department has provided or not provided
  • a service that is funded by the department
  • the behaviour of the department's employees
  • an act or practice of the department in relation to the individual's personal information that may be a breach of the department's obligation under the Information Privacy Act 2009 (Qld) (PDF)
  • an act or practice that violates an individual’s human rights under the Human Rights Act 2019.

Send us your compliment or complaint

You have the following options for sending us a compliment or complaint:

  • Visit or phone your local regional office
  • Email
  • Write to Department of Seniors, Disability Services and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Partnerships, PO Box 15397, City East, Qld, 4002.

Be sure to make any complaints no later than 12 months after you were notified or made aware of the decision or action. We only review matters older than this when we consider that exceptional circumstances have led to the complaint being lodged after the 12 month deadline.

What information to supply to us

  • Your name, address and/or contact details (unless you would like to make your compliment or complaint anonymously)
  • A description of the issues, including relevant dates and other information that is useful in managing your compliment or complaint (e.g. details of phone calls, letters and meetings relating to the matter
  • Whether you have previously contacted us about this issue
  • The outcome you are seeking (if any)

All personal information that we collect to manage compliments and complaints is handled in accordance with the Information Privacy Act 2009. Your compliment or complaint will be dealt with in a confidential manner and will only be discussed with the people directly involved. Find out more about privacy.

Interpreter and translator services

We will provide and pay for professional interpreting services for clients who have difficulties communicating in English, and can also arrange for interpreters in Auslan and other sign languages when required. Find out more about interpreter and translator services.

After you have made a compliment or complaint

Once we’ve received your feedback, the departmental officer managing it will keep you informed of its progress and any action taken. When the compliment or complaint process is completed, the departmental officer will take note of how it was managed and whether you're satisfied with the outcome.

If you are not satisfied

If you’re unhappy with how we’ve handled a complaint, you can request an internal review of the process by email to

If you're still unhappy with the outcome, you can contact the Queensland Ombudsman and ask for an independent review of your complaint.

Privacy complaints

Privacy complaints relate to the collection, management, use, disclosure or overseas transfer of your personal information (e.g. your name and address is given to a third party who does not have any involvement with your case).

If you have a privacy complaint relating to your information:

  1. Complete the Privacy Complaint Form (DOCX, 23 KB) and
  2. Email it to for action.

More information

While every attempt will be made to resolve your complaint, sometimes we might not be the right agency to help you. These contacts can also help with complaints:

Public Interest Disclosures

We are dedicated to promoting the public interest by facilitating disclosures of wrongdoing and ensuring they are dealt with in accordance with the Public Interest Disclosure Act 2010. More information is available in the Public Interest Disclosure Policy.